Kosovo finds remains of at least 23 people in suspected mass graves
The discovery is part of Kosovo’s long-running effort to find people who disappeared during a 1990s war between Serbians and Albanians.
Kosovo authorities have found the remains of more than 20 people in three suspected mass graves believed to contain victims of the region’s ethnic conflicts in the 1990s.
“Forensic medicine institute teams have found skeletal remains suspected to belong to at least 23 individuals,” a joint statement explained on Wednesday, co-signed by prosecutors, police officials and forensic investigators.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 items- list 1 of 3Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
- list 2 of 3Seven people, mostly foreign tourists, killed in helicopter crash in Kenya
- list 3 of 3Spain plans transfer of 500 migrant children from Ceuta to mainland
“Full identification will be made after the completion of forensic examinations and relevant procedures.”
About 13,000 people were killed, and 4,000 went missing during the war from 1998 to 1999 between independence-seeking ethnic Albanian rebels and Serbian forces.
Over the subsequent decades, officials have worked to uncover mass graves, revealing thousands of victims, but about 1,600 people remain unaccounted for.
Officials began excavations in the Zubin Potok area in the north of the country two weeks ago, searching for ethnic Albanian victims who remain missing.
The remains most likely belong to “23 Albanians who were violently abducted in the town of Mitrovica and executed” in the spring of 1999, according to a statement from Kosovo’s acting Prime Minister Albin Kurti during the excavation.
Prosecutors said all the remains had been sent for DNA testing, though they warned that the process could take months.
Police have also arrested three local men in recent days. “They are being investigated in connection with this case on suspicion of committing the criminal offence of war crimes against the civilian population,” Wednesday’s statement said.
Comments 0
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
World News
Explore All
Trump threatens 'tremendous economic consequences' on any country helping Iran
It comes after a 60-day ceasefire expired on Monday, with no sign of a diplomatic or military off-ramp to the conflict.
Publisher of US military newspaper resigns over differences with government
2 hours ago
‘Tsunami’ of emigration reshapes Israel’s future, experts warn
2 hours ago
Nigeria’s election campaign begins with Tinubu facing a reform test
3 hours agoIran war live: Trump announces ‘most crushing’ Iran sanctions
3 hours agoWhats New
View All
Chinese national in blue state charged with illegally voting in federal election under another man's name: DOJ
Trump threatens 'tremendous economic consequences' on any country helping Iran
Publisher of US military newspaper resigns over differences with government
Hayden Panettiere’s Death: DEA Joins Investigation
‘Tsunami’ of emigration reshapes Israel’s future, experts warn
Ryan Reynolds Congratulates Christopher Nolan's the Odyssey for Surpassing Deadpool & Wolverine to Become Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie of All Time
Nigeria’s election campaign begins with Tinubu facing a reform test
Iran war live: Trump announces ‘most crushing’ Iran sanctions
US national debt passes record $40 trillion